This is an article worth reading.
JCollins - Advice for his 19 yo daughter.
Friday, 15 March 2019
“Old George Orwell got it backward. Big Brother isn't watching. He's singing and dancing. He's pulling rabbits out of a hat. Big Brother’s busy holding your attention every moment you're awake. He's making sure you're always distracted. He's making sure you're fully absorbed. He's making sure your imagination withers. Until it's as useful as your appendix. He's making sure your attention is always filled. And this being fed, it's worse than being watched. With the world always filling you, no one has to worry about what's in your mind. With everyone's imagination atrophied, no one will ever be a threat to the world.” — Chuck Palahniuk
Tuesday, 15 January 2019
Acetil-L-Carnitine is a precursor for the aminoacid L-Carnitine.
- helps the body to produce energy;
- it is important for heart and brain function, muscle movement and other body processes;
- improves memory problems related to old age and memory loss;
- improves feelings of mental and physical tiredness in older people;
- helps symptoms related to declining male hormones (taken for six months improves sexual dysfunction, depression and fatigue in a similar way with the testosterone hormone);
- good for alcohol withdrawal (using IV for 10 days, or orally for 80 days), reducing the withdrawal symptoms;
- slows the rate of progression of Alzheimer's disease;
- improves memory, some of the mental function and behavior;
- poor blood flow to the brain - one single IV dose seems to produce short term improvements;
- improve memory in case of alcoholism;
- reduces blood levels of ammonia ( improving liver function and mental function in people with poor brain function due to liver failure);
- treating male infertility and Peyronie's disease ( reduces pain and slows the condition becoming worse)
- seems to increase survival and improve physical condition in ALS, especially if it is combined with Riluzole;
- may help in neuropathy (nerve pain), fibromyalgia, fragile x-syndrome, multiple sclerosis, schizophrenia, sciatica (when combined with alpha lipoic acid);
- it is a mitochondrial boosting supplement, helps your muscle mitochondria by burning fat, increase endurance, faster recovery. Fat uses carnitine to be carried to the mitochondria;
- when exercising, increase strength, burns more fat, boosts testosterone, speeds recovery, better insulin sensitivity, builds muscle, reduces muscle fatigue;
- better overall cognitive ability, even reversing dementia in some cases;
- increases glutathione's levels;
- improves focus and attention, helps in ADHD.
- do not use if pregnant or breastfeeding;
- do not use in neuropathy caused by taxanes (chemotherapy drugs);
- might interfere with thyroid, do not use if your thyroid is under-active;
- do not use if you have seizures.
- 1-4 g per day improves mood and decrease depression symptoms for some people;
- reduces nerve pain (neuropathy) caused by diabetes (1000 mg 2-3 times per day);
- for healthy adults, 1-3 g per day for 3-12 months.
Monday, 14 January 2019
Creatine Monohidrate is a natural supplement to boos athletic performance, by helping the muscle to produce more energy, increasing the muscle phosphocreatine stores (phosphocreatine is a precursor of ATP, so you will produce more ATP to continuously perform at maximum intensity).
- supports muscles development by boosting the formation of the proteins that create new muscle fibers;
- increase muscle mass, increase the water content of the muscles;
- reduces the myostatin (molecule responsible for reducing muscle growth), helping the muscle to build faster;
- improves high intensity exercises, improving factors such as strength, ballistic power, sprint ability, endurance, recovery, fatigue resistance, brain performance;
- most effective muscle building supplement, increasing both short term and long term muscle mass;
- helps in Parkinson disease preventing the dopamine decrease and improving muscle strenghth and function;
- few other neurological diseases had symptoms such as phosphocreatine reduction in the brain (Alzheimer's, ischemic stroke, epilepsy, brain or spinal cord injuries - even ALS, as it is improving muscle function, reduce muscle loss and extends survival by 17%);
- lowers blood sugar level and helps in diabetes;
- useful for the brain, increases the phosphocreatine reserves helping to create more ATP, needed for difficult, complex tasks;
- increase dopamine levels and mitochondrial function (20-50% improvement in memory and recall ability)
- reduces age related memory loss and protects against neurological diseases;
- reduces fatigue and tiredness.
- drink plenty of extra water when used and avoid dehydration (it is bad for your kidneys and creatine increases the risk);
- long term use is not recommended in bipolar disorder;
- caffeine and creatine together can make Parkinson worse (avoid caffeine if it is the case);
- because of the water retention, do not use it if you have kidney problems.
- it is safe and easy to use;
- got a loading phase (20g per day for 4-7 days, then maintenance 1-10 g per day).
Saturday, 12 January 2019
Gotu Kola, also known as Centella Asiatica or Asian pennywort, is native to Asian wetlands and it is used as a medicinal herb in Ayurveda and Chinese traditional medicine, but also in cooking too.
- contains certain chemicals that decrease inflammation and blood pressure in veins;
- seems to increase collagen production, helping wound healing;
- orally taken for 4-8 weeks seems to improve circulation and reduce swelling in the legs if you got poor circulation
- taking it for 12 months in atherosclerosis stabilize the fatty deposit plaques in the blood vessels making it less likely to break leading to heart attack or stroke;
- prevents blood clots during long flights (more than 3 hours);
- improve mental function;
- might help reduce symptoms of psoriasis, and used as a cream prevents scarring;
- helps bladder wounds healing after parasitic infection called schistomiasis;
- as a cream can heal stretch marks associated with pregnancy;
- useful for fatigue, anxiety, bacterial and viral infections like common cold, flu, tonsillitis, sunstroke, U.T.I., hepatitis, jaundice, diarrhea, indigestion;
- refreshing energy
- used for aging skin, tones and tighten the skin due to collagen production, increase the blood flow, helping in cellulitis;
- strengthen the hair follicles and nourishes the scalp (strengthens the blood vessels in the scalp area and leads to hair regrowth);
- rejuvenative nervine, bringing balance to the nervous system;
- sharpens the mind, increase memory learning and cognition;
- repair and reverse the damage to the brain cells, preventing degenerative brain diseases like Alzheimer's disease;
- boosts acetylcholine production, decreasing the symptoms in ADHD and ADD;
- increases the dendrite and axon growth;
- rich in triterpene saponozides (a Japanese research shows that some of them can stop the growth of the cancer cells);
- neurogenesis and neuroprotection.
- safe for pregnant women as a cream, not enough data when used orally if the woman is pregnant or breastfeeding;
- cause sleepiness if used in combination with other drugs after surgery (interacting with sedatives, CNS depressants);
- moderate interaction with hepatotoxic drugs (tylenol, tegretol, simvastatin).
- safe dose for blood circulation 60-180 mg per day;
- recommended 50-250 mg three times per day;
- as a nootropic 3 x 200 mg per day.
Thursday, 10 January 2019
Resveratrol is a stilbenoid, a type of natural phenol, and a phytoalexin produced by several plants in response to injury or if the plant is under attack by pathogens.
- acting as antioxidant, protecting the body against risks of cancer and heart disease;
- limits the spread of cancer cells and it is killing them;
- reduce inflammation;
- lover LDL and prevents clots to form (avoiding heart attack);
- may ease joint pain;
- may protect nerve cells from damage and fight the plaque build-up leading to Alzheimer's;
- helps in diabetes preventing insulin resistance;
- sirtuins can be activated by resveratrol.
- might interact with blood thinners like warfarin, aspirin and ibuprofen;
- raise the chance of bleeding.
- in the research group was used 2000 mg, but the commercial ones contain only 250-500 mg.
Tuesday, 8 January 2019
Pterostilbene is a derivative of Resveratrol, but is better absorbed following oral ingestion and more potent as an antioxidant and anticancer molecule. It is ideal to combine with Nicotinamide Riboside as supplement.
- anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-ageing;
- increasing longevity;
- good for anxiety, neuroinflammation, blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, joint inflammation.
- up to 250 mg (2 doses of 125 mg per day) with no side effects.
- low doses - beneficial for memory and cognition;
- higher doses (250-500 mg) - beneficial for reducing cholesterol and glucose