Monday 7 December 2015

Memory - Part 2. Killing A.N.T.s

Second part in achieving a prodigious memory is killing automatic negative thoughts (A.N.T).
Here are some of the most conclusive tips, few of them being my favorites, but the list is far from being finished, each of us developing in time our own techniques.

- Change the negative thought into a positive one. For example, if you are worried and focusing on what could go wrong in a situation, change your thoughts to what could go right. The mind can only think one thought at a time; so changing the negative into a positive eliminates the negative.

- Meditate or do yoga. One of the first things I often go every week to a yoga class. It take my focus away from my thoughts and bring my attention to my breath. Yoga is also very relaxing which help ease my mind. Yoga help me stay present to my experience so instead of jumping to what could happen, it is taking me back to the now—the only moment, the most important moment.

- Use an affirmation. Begin affirming to yourself something positive and self-supporting. The mind will focus on what you are repeating to yourself.

- Smile. Smiling is a reflection of a long time forgotten angelic world. I didn’t do much of this during the weekend so I literally had to bring myself in front of a mirror and force myself to smile. It really does help change your mood and relieve stress. I also felt lighter because it takes fewer muscles to smile than to frown.

- Use humor and fun. We get very serious and stressed when we’re thinking negative thoughts. Think of something funny to change the energy, or do something fun like going to a movie or having a night out with friends. Don’t let your negative thoughts have power over you. Be proactive in eliminating them.

- Surround yourself with positive people. I once called a friend who I knew could give me constructive, yet loving feedback. When you’re stuck in a negative spiral, talk to people who can put things into perspective and won’t feed your negative thinking

- Remind yourself that the negative thought you are thinking is “only a negative thought.” It has no power other than what you give it. Negatives gain momentum from your thinking them over and over again. So stop thinking them.

- Help someone. Take the focus away from you and do something nice for another person.I decided to make order in my wardrobe and donate all the clothes i did not wear this year to charity. It took my mind off of things and I felt better for helping someone else.

- Be grateful. Write a list of 10 people/things you are grateful for in your life.

- Read book or quotes relevant to this situation every day. For some of us, they are helping by reminding us where to focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment